Madre, Madrid


About a week before Christmas, my mom decided to hop on a plane to come spend Christmas with us in Toulouse. What a treat! Definitely what I really wanted for Christmas. We got to have lots of girl time in the pink city, wandering in and out of pretty brick shops, fooding in the Carmes district, but mostly (and bestly) talking, talking, talking.

In search of sun, we all took a road trip to Spain, stopping first to take in the Richard Serra installation at the magnificent Guggenheim in Bilbao, before we landed in Madrid for a few days.

The Bilbao Guggenheim sits docked along the Nervión river

spying Louise Bourgeois' spider
World's Fair architecture (and still getting around with Jacques in the carrier)
El Parque del Retiro, Madrid



El Prado, brilliantly more than I was anticipating

JB alerted me to this trash pile with pig's foot


these built-in seatbacks are smart
old town Bilbao

Comments

Hannah said…
Oh my god, Madrid?! What fun! Love the pictures...
R-M said…
Madrid = magnifico! Las fotos son bellisimas! What a lovely holiday treat for all of you...looks like pure magic!
Kate Warthen said…
I loved the whole trip - Spain was
inspiring..I really loved the landscape around Bilbao - amazing - I've never seen such hills and mountains.
Con Abrazos,
Tu Madre
Oh Aralena, it has been TOO TOO long! I logged on today and decided to pop into a blog for the first time in -- oh, God knows how long! -- but it was yours I wanted to visit! I wondered if you were still writing here... Am so happy to see that you are! What gorgeous photos of Spain! And I'm green with envy -- we passed through Spain last summer on our way back from a fly-by-night trip to Portugal and came back up the Coast, stopping in St.Jacques de Compostelle -- we drove by Bilbao, and I was DYING because I SO wanted to stop there to see the Guggenheim! I hope we make it back again, because your pictures make me want to return ASAP... I agree that the landscapes were so incredible. Looks like you had an amazing time.

Hope all is great on your end... I'm struggling to establish myself up here with some work at home, but having a bit of a hard time. Sounds like you've really gotten the hang of it! I could use some advice and words of wisdom... XOXO

Popular Posts