Haricots verts avec Funions

last year's crispy onions
Green Bean Casserole with crispy onions, via smitten kitchen.

This is more or less what I cooked last year for our Thanksgiving shindig. It took me about two hours to make the crispy onions, four hours to complete the entire dish. That is ridiculous. Even a turkey doesn't demand the amount of work that this one dish does. I blamed the fact that I was in my first trimester of pregnancy, and Jacques was "helping me" when we arrived 45 minutes late to the party, and promptly vowed to volunteer for sweet potatoes next year... especially when, a day later, a friend texted me a photo of French Funions she'd found at a grocery store in downtown Toulouse!

But, wouldn't you know it, I volunteered to make Green Bean Casserole this year (and sweet potatoes). I blame sleep deprivation! And, as practice makes perfect, I will again be frying my own crispy onions and foregoing the Funions. 

Comments

Popular Posts