Délivrance

Inspired by an afternoon MSN chat on Django Reinhardt, banjos, and country music, I jokingly recommended Deliverance, that twisted-but-classic American outdoor movie, to a colleague. Within minutes, he located the film file online and the following day, I was the proud recipient of a copy of his illegal download.

Sunday evening, saucisson, clémentines, and a steaming tisane in hand, we settled in for a night of tense, clandestine cinema. JB popped in the disc, and almost immediately, I began moaning and cringing. As the opening credits rolled onto the screen, the voice-over narration accompanying it followed -- en français. Commanding the player to stop, I yanked the defiled disc out of the computer and looked at JB with an apologetic, but firm regard. "I can't," I asserted vehemently, "I just can't."

I cannot watch dubbed movies, in any language. It drives me insane. (Short drive, I can hear my Pop quip.) Particularly a film set in the South, a region of the United States so entrenched in its accent and colorful expressions, that the verbal idiosyncrasies are as inherent to the culture as its music. The idea of watching banjo-dueling, moonshine bootlegging hillbillies use the subjonctif, while ordering their victim squeal like a pig at gunpoint, seemed so absurd, so surreal, and so beyond my capacity to tolerate this type of manifestation of the very real fact that the soundtrack to my life is now in French, my suspension of disbelief came flailing facedown into the bottom of the rocky Appalachian canyon, much like Drew, post-pigsty.

We found another file, and watched Deliverance in English with horror, awe, and revolt. The notorious scene in the woods would have the most hardened cinephiles masking their eyes, but without the twang of the mountain man's menacing provocations, the angry use of "boy" after every command, and the stereotypical poor grammar, the spine tingle and the stomach turn would have been solely based on the - admittedly gruesome - visuals. The exaggerated accents play on every conception - negative or positive - that the audience holds of mountain people in the South, and push just the right buttons to make us squeal right along with poor Bobby. Of course, I am curious to discover how a translator would have re-worked "he got a real purdy mouth, ain't he?"

Disgusting allusions aside, and lest you think that my Southern references reside solely with fictional horror tales of murderous rednecks and inbred banjo genius, my dear ma (once a picker herself!) sent me a few musical recommendations to chew on as antidote: Earl Scruggs, Doc Watson, and Mississippi John Hurt. Brilliant music, to be sure. I still don't think that I'll ever approach a day hike into the Ventana Wilderness with my prior insouciance again.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad that I've NEVER seen this movie...especially with the repeated use of "boy" (among other things).

I cannot watch films with voice-overs, eithers. I always think of those really old Godzilla flicks whenever I think of a movie with a voice-over.

Frenchies don't believe me when I say this usually indicative of a cheap or campy film in the States...
amy said…
hillbillies use the subjonctif, while ordering their victim squeal like a pig

Surely they'd be using the imperitive, no? ;)

I have to agree, though -- Deliverance in French just wouldn't be the same.
Oh, Aralena, I'm exactly the same way about movies! I refuse to watch a classic or even a modern film with the voices dubbed -- it just goes against every American bone in my body. I want to see a Japanese movie in JAPANESE and a French movie in FRENCH and an American movie in good ol' American. There's a reason why dubbing never became much of a métier in our country! I cringe at having to listen to someone like Johnny Depp dubbed in French. Which is one of the reasons why I worry about seeing movies en province... Where you often don't have the choice of V.O.! Oh well, guess you just learn to deal...

The only exception I make is with Peter Falk in Columbo -- he's the one character I've ever heard dubbed really accurately! J. claims that back in the day dubbing was much better, and that many of the classic movies were dubbed with equivalent voices suited to their characters -- but it still won't convince me to watch an American Western in French, no matter how hard he tries. It's hard enough to get me to watch those in my native language!
Sonnybur said…
Has anyone here seen an episode of the Sopranos in french ? A tragic example of how poor dubbing and bland writing can ruin a masterpiece. The characters sound like parisian office workers discussing existentialism around the water cooler and the dialogues are generic at best. I only could take it for 3 minutes before throwing the towel.
Aralena said…
Eclat, every interaction with the mountain people and urbanites is charged with bigotry - on both sides. The hillbillies barking "boy" definitely does not leave one indifferent - obviously for a word with such a negative history. It's a hard film to watch, dubbed or not.

Amy, bien vu! Although, technically, he could have commanded in the subjunctive: "je veux que tu couines comme une truie!" just as well as "Couine!" Which do you prefer? ;b

Alice, it never occurred to me that provincial theaters might only have VF!! This changes everything. As for Colombo, I will have to see it to believe it. Have you ever watched Friends in French? You'll want to shoot yourself listening to the women's high-pitched tittering!

frog4america, I have yet to see Sopranos in the original - for shame, I know - but I can imagine that the French dubbed version would make my skin crawl, having been a huge fan of mafia movies in the past. Existential thuggery? No thank you.
Anonymous said…
Oh I agree, I cannot stand when it films are dubbed. (although I have to agree with tlb, about peter falk as columbo). oh and woody allen dubbed in french drives me nuts as well.

and another pet peeve is when films, on video or dvd are "panned and scanned" to fit the tv format. the majority of feature films are shot on film, 35mm...for the beauty of the rectangle, vs. the 16mm square...(and amongst other reasons, which i won't go into now), so ideally these films should be shown in a letter box version with subtitles.

grrr.
delphine
Anonymous said…
Ah... L'enfer est décidément pavé de bonnes intentions.
Anonymous said…
L'enfer, c'est des collègues qui te piquent ton ordi... et qui cherchent ensuite à te prendre ton identité de chèvre.
Aralena said…
Delphine, I can see how the context of an Allen film would pass in French - Freudian complexes and non-stop dialogue making up the French cinematic landscape anyway - but no, I just have to hear Woody whining.

And the tv screen adaptation is another abomination, I agree. Why couldn't they adapt the box to the film? hum.
Karen said…
I can't stand to see a good movie turned to garbage by voiceovers. Thankfully since moving over here, I've converted my husband to this philisophy and now, he shuns dubbed films as well. Hooray! We have won one for our side.
R-M said…
Ah...I am convinced that the same guy does the dubbing for every film in Spanish...this was reaffirmed on a flight to Guatemala when Shrek was "doblado." But now this Halloween night, as I am curled up in my adopted southern temporary home...I can hear that faint banjo and the drawl of "scream like a pig" will haunt my English dreams this Halloween night.
We only go to the VO cinéma here in Montpellier! I hate doublage with a passion.
JB said…
Parfois, les dialogues sont du même niveau : nuls ! Comme dans le bon vieux "the young and the restless" ...
Pour faire echo au "J" d'Alice, dans le temps, les doublages étaient biens meilleurs. Peter Falk's Columbo ou autres Star Wars & Co, mais aujourd'hui, même pour les super-productions, il y a un décallage important dans le sens des tournures.
Surtout qu'avec le temps, les références culturelles se multiplient dans les films, ce qui n'était pas le cas il y a 20 ou 30 ans car ces générations n'avaient pas les mêmes influences culturelles au sein d'un même pays car la télé n'était pas aussi omniprésentes lors de leur enfance !
Bon, je m'emporte, mais je pense que c'est l'une des raisons principales de la dégradation de la qualité des traductions, avec l'aspect rentabilité cher à notre société capitaliste (qui a du bon et du mauvais).
Margie Rynn said…
I too have sworn off dubbed movies. At first I thought it was cute to see John Wayne speaking French, but now I'm over it...and how many times have we had to hear about how bad American movies are, when they are almost always dubbed and get to hear people like Al Pacino dubbed by a mediocre French actor?
Unknown said…
Hey just to keep the ball rolling, what about this french thing with frenchifying TV shows' musical themes ?

For some reason, the french themes from old shows like Dallas or Starsky & Hutch should be a source of national shame by now, but apparently we keep ruining perfectly good opening tunes with corny lyrics.

I recently read that Prison Break was violated in such a shameful way. Apparently some genius thought the tune lacked a bit of rap lyrics. I have to admit I wasnt able to press the play button so I dont know what it sounds like, and I hope I never do.

But how do you guys react when you tune in to watch your favorite show and notice this tiny little difference ?
sarah mac said…
but i think we can all agree, Burt Reynolds never looked better than he did in this film...

all muscle, chest hair and attitude. i think's it's been downhill for ol' Burt ever since.
Parisian Cowboy said…
Dear Mademoiselle Dents de lait,

This is a short "commentaire" to let you know I've changed the URL of my blog.... the new one is :

http://parisiancowboy.blogspot.com

Et voila....

Hope your stay in Paris is going well and that you don't think that les français sont insupportables (sometimes I think so myself).

xx

PC
Parisian Cowboy said…
Something else, as you seem to be a fan of Scruggs, I was wondering if you knew a banjo teacher in Paris.... in a previous life I've started the 5-string banjo, but here in Paris, I can't find a professor.... let me know if you know someone.

I was horrified when I saw that movie. The duelling banjos at the beginning is, for me, the best part of it.

A plus,
Anonymous said…
**crickets...silence**

Okay, I have three favorite bloggers, and you are one of them and I am not functioning well without your posts and no, the archives are not doing it for me, either...lol

Sigh. I hope everything is okay. :0l
Anonymous said…
Happy New Year, come back soon!

Popular Posts