snow in 2013

I just learned that it is snowing in another part of the city right now, but looking out the door here, the sky is only grey. Bright grey, but grey nonetheless, and these clouds don't seem like the kind to start shedding flakes. The sky is always snowier, as they say.

How will you make 2013 resolute? What intentions have you voiced, to yourself, to others, that you'll hold onto until they are realized?

We were moving into a new apartment when the new year rang in. Over a champagne glass of sparkling apple cider, the smoke of a burnt smudge stick hanging in the living room air, Jean-Baptiste asked me what my resolution for 2013 was, after deflecting the same query. We were probably too preoccupied with our cardboard surroundings to come up with anything in earnest.

A few weeks into this year, though, and now I know what I'd like to see in my life: snow. I want to look out onto our terrace and see a carpet of white covering the patchy grass. I'd like to step onto that film of air and ice, my spine long, my mind clean, tension and release engaging deliberately. When I look back at the footprints in my wake, without trying to shed anything or coerce an imperceptible change in my character, without measuring or judgment, I'll simply note the layers of depth that each footfall revealed.

Comments

Hannah said…
Beautifully put, Lank.

Popular Posts