But music has charms to soothe a savage beast

Nose buried in a book, I literally tripped out of the last wagon of that moment's line 12. To the annoyance of the herd behind me, I relished in the métro sin of taking my time to get my bearings, absorb my surroundings, and decide which exit would lead to my desired destination. As I stood pondering whether my bookshop inhabited the côté pair or impair of rue de Rivoli, I noticed another lackadaisical character assuming the same meditative stance. Dark curly hair, cropped close to his round head, and a striped button-down shirt involuntarily burned themselves an alibi into my memory. Turning on my heel, I made my way for the escalators.

As I rifled through my purse in search of lipstick, I suddenly noticed a hand holding the plastic hand-rail on my right. It wasn't rush hour and there weren't a million people bustling up the stairs in a rush, so the proximity of the body behind me seemed exagéré - I moved up a step. The hand to my right moved up along with me. A moment later, I felt a hand brush my lower back.

Stepping off the moving stairs onto solid cement, I turned my entire body to assess the impatient person with no sense of private space. It was the same loiterer I had perceived a minute before, only now his face showed something bordering on purpose and humor.

"C'est bon là, vous avez assez de place?" I sarcastically inquired of the short, stocky, 40-ish man who was now walking closely beside me, keeping my pace and testing my ability to remain coldly composed.

"Oh oui," he replied, still smiling, as if my intentions were actually the assurance of his comfort.

I could feel my inner urban bitch rising to greet the underworld elf. As he attempted to announce something regarding the area of my body at which he was staring intently, I stopped walking and, with not a little shrillness demanded, "Je peux vous aider?"

Continuing to babble some nonsense inaudibly, all the while smiling moronically, he made a feeble effort to reach his stubby arm out to mine.

"Ca suffit - laissez-moi tranquille."

Et basta.

Thrusting my shoulders back in exaggeratedly good posture and swinging my purse dramatically behind my shoulder, I strode calmly but determinedly toward my exit- alone. Rising out of the bouche de métro, I shook my head and laughingly wondered when the day would arrive where I would be harassed by a Brad Pitt look-a-like.

Two years ago, this story would have unfurled in an entirely different manner. The most likely scenario would have me trying to be nice and maladroitly indicating a lack of time to spare, or perhaps even having the wherewithal to renvoyer ballader l'emmerdeur, but feeling terribly mean, snotty, or guilty about it.

Somewhere between now and then, it dawned on me that I don't owe any kindness or conversation to people who insinuate themselves selfishly into my personal space. And I believe that I have Paris to thank for that. Thanks, Paris! Without the daily assaults on my peace, particularly while patronizing your fair public transportation vessels, my blunt and aggressive potential would have wilted, unrealized and immature, like a Beaujolais Nouveau 2002.

Exiting W.H. Smith one half hour later, I brandished my new Joyce Carol Oates collection of short stories like a shield. Indeed, let none doubt the fury of a woman scorned.

Comments

I know I'm always falling all over myself with praise for your writing, Aralena, but I just can't seem to get over how gifted you are with words! I hope you're working on a novel...

I love how you describe this encounter and your reaction to the creepy Frenchman. I, too, have found that I've built up a tougher skin over the years when it comes to experiences like this, as I've always been a bit naïve, and I would normally find myself feeling guilty if I wasn't "nice" enough in my response to people. Paris -- and I imagine a lot of big cities -- will do that to you! But then again, I *still* feel guilty today if I don't find myself being generous enough or if I'm not "solidaire" when it comes to others. I'm always so torn -- or "déchirée" as I constantly find myself saying! My boyfriend loves to tease me on this one, because I tend to use that word a lot.
Misplaced said…
I would love to find a blog entry from this guy describing theevents. How great would it be to hear the inner workings of his mind as he read his book and first noticed you.

I agree with Late Bloomer- you have a beautiful writing style which always compels me to read on.
Starman said…
Actually, the phrase is: "Music hath charms to soothe a savage breast,( To soften rocks, or bend a knotted oak.) "
Aralena said…
Starman, you're absolutely right, and I appreciate your vigilance. however, the oft-quoted incorrect version seemed more fitting to this post. Long live editorial license.
JB said…
Being about 6'4" often got me out of trouble in crowded metro trains or stations, but I have some fun stories to tell.
I won't here, just the highlights :The funniest one is two women fighting at rush hour in the line 1 heading to "La Défense" compressed against each other by tons of other standing people.
And my prefered one is when I was in the RER A I saw a joung man looking into a woman's handbag. She stopped at "Les Halles" and headed toward RER B; the guy was still following her (as was I).
Then I managed to be next to them in the train (it was crowded but not too much). When he was about to put his hand in her bag, I pointed my fingers to my eyes and then to him, as the Niro in "Meet the parents"... He left at the next train station ("St Michel").
I still remember his face, 6 years after it happened.
Anonymous said…
I'm hearing a lot of similar stories in which a creepy Frenchman invades the space of an (often polite) expat.

I'm praying that this doesn't happen to me. Especially the touching part. I have no idea what my reaction would be.
Amy75 said…
I agree . . . this was another beautifully written story! I was on the edge of my seat not knowing if you were about to reveal an illicit rendezvous. I'm going to have to memorize your lines so I can put them to use in the metro : )
Anonymous said…
anyway...sad to hear about creeps (but i don't think he targeted you because he thought you were an expat...you don't look like an expat...)...but let's turn this around and make it into a happy post--i believe romain duris lives in your hood? correct me if i am wrong...:)
delphine
JB said…
Yes, he lives nearby
Aralena said…
hmm. it appears that Jean-Baptiste has taken it upon himself to act as my (or Mr. Duris') spokesperson.
So, at the risk of being redundant, yep, Delphine, I think Romain and I are darn near neighbors. I've seen him around often enough, doing "just popped out on an errand" type things, to decide that he simply must live nearby.

And if at some poing our eyes should meet, I won't waste time in confirming his huge crush on me, either.

Late Bloomer, I think déchirée is the perfect word, too. I'm building up such a crusty callous against these inner debates, though. If I think a person needs help, money or just a smile, I will gladly give it when I've got it. And the sleazy métro-prowlers will get nothing but dead eye and some choice expletives! As you say, it's life in the big city.


...I really appreciate the positive thoughts that have been posted. Thank you.
R-M said…
Ah...fear not my friend...metro grabbing is not limited to Paris! Coming back from the airport last month on MARTA (the ATL's sorry excuse for a metro) some guy tried to first grab me and then my watch. My fellow Americans did nothing...so you see, we are not all that different on both sides of the channel? (certainly not everyone here is as good as JB in watching their fellow passenger's backs)Incidently, I never had such an occurance when I lived in London, though such events on the tube were widely reported in the press.

Popular Posts