Stewart Copeland fan club reunion

Due to fabulous extenuating circumstances, my matière grise has asserted its recently acquired French right to faire la grève. For the past couple of weeks, 99.9% of my once boundless energy has been reduced to a pathetic display of me dragging my lifeless carcass from the bed to the shower to the métro to the boulot to the métro to the libro (no amount of fatigue can keep me from a bed-time story.)

Normally a lethargy this dramatic would have me rushing at laboratories and on a couch, but I know why I'm k.o., and so I indulge this vegetative state, spending inordinate hours scouring the web for jewels like this :

A paradigm for the cosmos

I'm told that Stew tunes his drums high, to drive that tinny, almost overwhelming battery of rhythm on which The Police rode to stardom.

I have my chanteuse mom to thank for an eclectic musical library. Growing up listening to artists as divergent as The Police, Guy Clarke, Erik Satie, and Etta James, we share a love of strong beats and earnest lyrics... and maybe cute rockers. Dusting off mouse turds and spider webs from her vast collection of vinyl from the 70's and 80's, I rediscovered The Kinks, Joni Mitchell, and Prince in our drafty attic.

She'll be here in less than 3 days, my mum. We've got castle-haunting, surfing, and water color on the schedule, as well as a lot of hugging, laughing and talking. Those weekly 3-hour phone sessions ain't peanuts compared to doing the twist on a beach in Les Landes.

Comments

Oh, enjoy your visit with your mom! Sounds like such fun... I so wish my parents would come visit, one of these days. Or my brothers for that matter. My older brother JUST got his passport, so a possible visit may be on the horizon for 2008 -- cross your fingers for me! I know I chose to live here, far from home, but a wee leetle visit from time to time wouldn't hurt anyone. Besides, it's France we're talkin' about -- there's so much to see and do!

I can't say that my mom has real eclectic, cool music taste, though. Um, she was (still is?!) a Kenny Rogers fan. (OK, did I just write that?! *Hiding*)
Anonymous said…
Oh fun! Sounds like the two of you will have a wonderful time.
Delphine

Popular Posts