Santé!

"All the experienced sages have likened the taking for inessential expenditures of more money than they can endure from the peasants to taking from the foundation of a building and transferring it to the roof." -- Sari Mehmed Pacha, eighteenth-century Ottoman official

Keeping up with the American Presidential campaigning in Paris is sort of like seeing a foreign film with English subtitles; my entire focus is directed into maintaining a grasp on the major issues as they unfurl through the Anglo and French press, but the subtler themes (i.e. petty ad hominem attacks and analysis of hairstyles and dental work) generally fall between the cracks of when my eyes darted between the script and the actors. Which is a blessing, since most of the mud-slinging that slips through the translator's collander is what I like least about American political debate.

The issue of health care is one such obvious morsel which, as far back as I can remember, has patiently remained at the forefront of campaign rhetoric, but, as if on cue, fades into a cynical sunset once the elected victor sets up shop in the White House. I'm hoping that 2008 will prove revolutionary. As I dutifully read articles on the Senatorial exchanges regarding implementation of a health care bill that would insure poor children access to health care, however, I'm transformed into an incredulous rageaholic: "But some Republicans, citing estimates by the Congressional Budget Office, say that the costs over 10 years for the SCHIP program will be $112 billion.

'This is unsustainable, and we don't pretend to sustain it in the bill," said Sen. Jon Kyl (R) of Arizona, during the committee markup. "We shouldn't be making a promise we can't keep. People will be relying on us.'"


First, I don't think there are too many Americans left who would blink an eye at an Administration that didn't keep a promise. But more importantly, I think a lot more Americans (myself included, but then, I already live in a country where at least 20% of what I earn is redistributed to insure that fellow citizens have access to doctors and medication) would be willing to see their tax dollars rerouted to support a program that would insure that "poor children" won't suffer needlessly because their parents can't afford health insurance. I don't think it's completely naive to think that Americans would rather see their taxes spent on raising a healthy future generation than on wars based on fallacious intelligence and the resultant psychiatric care required for the soldiers coming home from Iraq with PTSD.

The Nation would probably agree with me on my belief in Americans' capacity for charitable acts: "It's Easier to Insure Pets than Kids". Hell, even the media surveillants at Gawker, the epitome of cynicism and jaded bystanderism think something is up.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Off topic but...love Misha Glenny! He's really great and on my imaginary dinner guest list. And pardon my ignorance, so the proper name for "Romanians" is "Rumanians" (like Beijing vs. Pékin or Peking)?
delphine
Aralena said…
Glenny is quickly gaining genius status in my book - have you read the doorstop on the Balkans?? it's incredibly informative without being too dense or dry. what else have you read/do you know about this amazing man??

Not that I'm an expert, but I'm pretty sure that "Romanian" (from adulterated Greek "romaioi") is the more accurate version used today (which leads one to wonder why Du Nay opted for the 16th century version...) and refers to their Roman -linguistic, political - heritage.
Anonymous said…
Glenny like André Gerolymatos are seemingly against the notion of (quoting Gerolyymatos: "...others are essentially polemics advocating justice for one Balkan group and denying it to another.")I think Glenny is well informed and fair. I have read Glenny's "The Fall of Yugoslavia". I would love to ask him a few questions.

What is your particular interest in the Balkans?
Delphine
Aralena said…
Rebonjour Delphine! It's startling the difference between Glenny's account and one written in the 1970's by a Brit observer. The fear of communism is built-in to a lot of the theories by mid-late 20c historians and interesting to digest in hindsight.

My interest in the Balkans is an extension of a general passion for political science and history, but also probably influenced by my father's Russia studies, growing up enchanted by the idea of Transylvania and a romantic notion of Slavic culture and a love of the sound of the language. So I came to the idea of Romania and Croatia with these vague fantasies and have since been even more intrigued by the convergence of religions in the area and the nationalism that sprouted up from their core, as well as the role that meddling "Great Powers" had in forming and disforming the territories.
And I have to say that your input and perspectives on the land have landed me with different, contemporary authors and I'd like to thank you for that. When you do have that dinner party with Glenny, make sure to invite me!
Anonymous said…
Salut Aralena!
(Sadly I am writing this as forest fire is raging in and around Dubrovnik and this after watching a reportage about Global Warming last night).
The fear of communism (or the fear of anything for that matter), only allows for a restricted viewpoint. Mind you, Yugoslavia was a special case since it was not under the Soviet Union, and was a member of the Non-Aligned Movement. But I digress….
I have a romantic view of the Slavs as well. And Russian is really a beautiful language.
Oh religion and politics! (and I would add, economics) always an interesting cocktail. (I’ve always liked the line from Louis Cyphre in Alan Parker’s « Angel Heart »… « They say there's enough religion in the world to make men hate each other, but not enough to make them love. » ). The nationalism in the region was well supported (especially financially) by the chauvinistic diaspora world wide. (Danilo Kis, wrote a wonderful essay on nationalism, found in Homo poeticus : Essays and Interviews, although I am confused by Susan Sontog’s intro.) Sorry ! I am an abtract thinker….I go around and around….
And as for the dinner party, I guess (if I go with the boy-girl-boy-girl seating), I’ll sit you in between Glenny and Hervé Kempf.
delphine
Aralena said…
Delphine, you've stuck in me in the middle of one the most intimidating manwiches I can imagine - and by whom, pray tell, will you be surrounded?? ;)

As usual, you've supplied more tempting reading material for me to chase down. Have you studied this subject for reasons beyond your family background?

This summer's weather has been otherwordly, with the canicule in Southern Europe causing fires, and the wet in the North... thankfully, the fires in Dubrovnik were tamed.
Anonymous said…
Good question Aralena! I've been making this imaginary list in head and never thought where would I be sitting..heheh. (But after viewing Jacques Cousteau's River Exploration (especially the Amazon segment...off the top of my head, maybe Jacques??).

Well I come from a family whose general philosphy is: life is to question. ( http://www.crazythoughts.com/).

The civil war in the former Yugoslavia allowed me the chance to compare what the different sides were saying about the events/conflicts unfolding (for example the American media, the European media, the Serbian, Croatian and Muslim media etc etc). Needless to say, it all became very interesting to me. And as a result, I truly understand the old adage, "the victors write history". And now, for other conflicts world wide that pique my curiosity, I do a comparative news read. (And I am fortunate to have met or know people (journalists, filmmakers and development/aid workers) who have "worked in the field") so...

Oh and I worry about global warming. Everyone seems to be talking about the individual's responsibility, but how about the collective?

Okay I'll get off my soap box.
delphine
Anonymous said…
Totally hearting you. This is an amazing, well-written post and straight to the point. I love it.
Aralena said…
Mlle. Smith, thank you! Every time I read about healthcare issues in the U.S. I get all worked up and ready myself to march on Washington. seriously, this is a subject that needs serious consideration right now. It drives me MAD to read legislators blatantly lying about what the govt. can and can't afford to fund. ugh.

Delphine... don't get off your soap box for my sake - I love a woman with a brain! And Jacques Cousteau? pourquoi pas?! how about some Michel Serres? And can we bring back Jonathan Swift? plus on est de fou... I await this fantastic dinner invite impatiently.

Popular Posts