le 64

As we cruised along the stunning, sparkling coastline of the Bay of Biscay, traversing the Spanish border into the Basque cities of Hendaye, Saint-Jean-de-Luz, and Biarritz, I felt the familiar manic excitement of an obsession coming on. With every azur golf we rounded, and every cypress tree extending its branches over the cliffs, my thoughts racing tripped over themselves with varying, blossoming plots, all revolving around one design: to someday make the département des Pyrénées-Atlantiques home.

Our vacation started out in the picturesque city of Donostia-San Sebastian. I wasn't sure how much I'd take to this beach city, notorious in my college days as a party animal's paradise, but Jean-Baptiste insisted that we make a stop-over on our way to the French Basque country before the hordes of tourists descend upon it in August. Armed with a mental list of favorite tapas bars, sights, and coins perdus to share - how could I resist?

And so, despite my apprehension at finding myself in the pit of a frat-boy-fraught tourist-trap, San Sebastian proved itself a charming destination, with many a cultural jewel to discover, in the Old and New towns alike. La Playa de la Concha reminded me simultaneously of the beaches in Rio de Janeiro and my hometown of Carmel, with its blend of nature and industry, postcard-ready prettiness and the unfortunate hotels lining the beach. The laid-back ambiance that only a beach town can capture and emit unmitigated immediately worked its magic on us; we ambled aimlessly in and out of tapas bars and restaurants, filling up on calamars, eperlans, and bacalhau, washed down with house cidre or sangria. Wandering belly-full into churches and plazas dotted with encroaching café chairs, the soporific effect of the smattering of seafood dishes put a glossy veneer on each site we encountered.

The locals were also surprisingly friendly and welcoming, which is quite a feat of the soul, especially when -- I hate to say it -- there were a good deal of obnoxious, Anglo, college-aged visitors whose drunken staggering in and out of bars was astoundingly common. We even had the pleasure of being roused from a deep vacation sleep at 3:30am by a young American couple (we'd crossed paths in the hallway on our way out only hours before) having really, really noisy (and not terribly good, if her erratic yelping was any indication) sex, until dawn. My shouted orders to "Shut the (insert expletive here) up!!" and Jean-Baptiste's banging on the wall were infuriatingly futile. Even the dueña of the pension approached us the next morning, apologizing about "los americanos," "catastrophic" guests that she couldn't wait to see leave. (And we wonder why we're not always welcomed with open arms abroad?)

Descending the Pyrénées foothills into the commune of Saint-Jean-de-Luz, we easily slipped back into another beachfront culture, this time à la française, and perhaps for this reason, a bit more docile. Despite the fact that Saint-Jean-de-Luz lies only 30 kilometers northeast of San Sebastian, its version of Basque culture is clearly and distinctly French. To wit, all of our dishes were accompanied with the local Tursan or Irouléguy, not a glass of adulterated wine-punch on the menu. Gastronomic pride is played up respectfully in the Lapurdi province; Piment d'Espelette makes a stylish appearance among the chipiron and poulet fermier, and the sucré-salé combo of Ossau-Iraty with confiture de cerise as a dessert gives the ubiquitous (but no less delicious) Gâteau Basque a serious run for its money.

The compulsive planning to actually make this region ours fully realized itself somewhere among the tri-city expanse of Biarritz-Anglet-Bayonne. The perfect combination of pure ocean air (its spray reputed to be therapeutic since the early 1800's), a topaz coastline, the evergreen cypress and pine trees dotting the bluffs, and the maritime climate so similar to the one I grew up in - all the elements converged in front of the Ballet Biarritz and I knew that the lack of terra and flora that we compensate with culture in Paris had finally met its contender. On cue, I started plying Jean-Baptiste with questions about the city's reputation, job prospects, and, conscientious manipulator that I am, if he could see himself living a short walk from the ocean that he loves so dearly...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Oh sounds soooo lovely!! (the best virtual vacation ever ;). My father is Dalmatian (Croatian) so I understand the great love for the sea. If anything, just to smell the sea-air leaves me in an ultimate bliss....en tout cas, I should stop before I become depressed.
Thanks for sharing.
Delphine
Anonymous said…
That looks like paradise. What an amazing shade of blue! So different from California cold gray water.
Aralena said…
Delphine, lucky you!! I have yet to see Croatia, but it is on the top of my list of countries to visit within the year... you must go rather often then? Do you speak the language? if you have any recommendations, I'd love to hear your thoughts. :)

Hannah, come visit and we'll take you guys! the Atlantic, unlike our lovely but glacial Pacific, is pretty warm, the water a pleasure to swim in. I may have saturated this photo a bit, though...
Anonymous said…
Hello Aralena, you should go to the Dalmatian coast 100% it is very beautiful. I am in my 30's and since the age of 2 I have gone every summer. I even went when the war was going on, the sea was pristine and very little people on the beaches (obviously!). Although, sadly I haven't gone in two years because of work etc.
I am absolutely fluent in Croatian.
Well of course you HAVE to see Dubrovnik, Split (that is where my family is from), Sibenik, and Hvar...these are the most known and really beautiful in terms of nature, the architecture etc etc...but to be honest anywhere and everywhere is really nice. If you get a chance to go I am sure you would have a wonderful time. We have really good wine (try a Bevanda), cheese, olives, and prsut (the Italians have their version called Prosciutto...but I promise you, Dalmatian prsut blows theirs out of the water...).
En tout cas, you should go if you can.
In the interim, bonne chance with the chance of living a short walk from the sea...
Delphine
Amy75 said…
Sounds like an amazing trip! You brought me back to my time there, and really made me want to return. I ate at a great little restaurant, appropriately named “Saint-Jean-de-Luz Café” when I was there. We're planning on doing a quick day trip when we go to Bordeaux in August. I can't wait!
Aralena said…
Delphine, thank you so much for your suggestion! And you've got my respect for heading over even during the war. I've been doing a lot of reading on the Balkan area lately, and think I might just have to dedicate a couple of months to doing a tour of the entire region! Did your father speak Croatian to you as a child?

Amy, how fun that you guys are heading back south! We stopped in Bordeaux on our way home and ate at this great café on Place du Parliament, "Chez Jean" - if you happen to be there and are hungry, I recommend it. Will you go wine tasting in the area, too? Sounds fun...
Anonymous said…
Aralena I think if you have the chance to travel, you should, because it's always a plus for numerous reasons. I know that at first it might seem a bit ludicrous to travel to a country or region in the midst of a civil war, but due to a series of events and circumstances (and just me wanting to see and experience things first-hand, plus at the time my sister was working for for UN-TV...how could I not go....). It was surreal to say the least. The closest I came to any fighting was 60 kms away. Thank god! But one, of many experiences, that will remain in my head, was when I first arrived in Zagreb,so essentially my first understanding/comprehension of war on a strictly visual level, was the windows all around the city, were taped with an X, so if a bomb was to fall the glass wouldn't shatter everywhere, therefore minimizing any injury...do you know what I mean? It is a very haunting image. I am strongly against war and whole-heartedly support diplomacy!!! but unfortunately war is a business and both war and anti-war "groups" profit from the misery and ignorance of others. En tout cas, I don't want make my reply so depressing...but the whole region, the Balkans, is very rich in history and culture (as is the case anywhere) although quite complex at times. And I do find it offensive when people speak of the "old" and "new" Europe.I read a very good book by André Gerolymatos called "The Balkan Wars" and I think it provides the reader with a great understanding of the region, if at least from a warring prospective. And yes, I did speak Croatian as a child. But if and when, you and your partner decide to have children...just think: they will be perfectly bilingual. What an amazing gift, n'est pas? And if I am not mistaken, your name, are you of Spanish origins?
Delphine
Aralena said…
Delphine, if I could spend the rest of my life traveling, I would. And I would never tell someone they were being ludicrous for traveling to a country in the midst of a war - on the contrary, it's a huge act of love for your brethren, for humanity, and the fact that you can testify with first-hand experience (the X-taped windows image says an incredible amount...) is invaluable. I think it takes a great deal of courage and curiosity to visit a region during conflict. I met a photographer a couple of years ago who was working on a project in Serbia. She said that the aftermath, the destruction that was palpable everywhere she went to take pictures was devastating. This was after the fighting.

Thank you for the book recommendation - it's on my list of to-reads. I've been reading books on the etymological history of the region, and find that it provides a very nearly neutral political account of the the history of the people, which is so hard to come by. Isn't the simplicity of Old Europe versus New Europe rhetoric enraging?
Wow, how did I miss this post, Aralena? I was so pleased to have finally signed up to Bloglines so I could be updated on posts, but I think it didn't pick this one up...

I've been reading this intriguing exchange between you and Delphine, and it's gotten me even more interested in Croatia and the region as well. Have you read Jenn's post at No Place Like It? She and her husband just returned from Croatia, and she said it was an amazing experience... Be sure to check out her post! I hope I get the opportunity to travel there one day, too, although my boyfriend is more fascinated with China these days! I also dream of making it to Japan... Ah, so many places to see, so little time!

I spent some time briefly in the Basque region a few years back myself, and I hope I get the opportunity to return, because I was there during a dismal time of year -- the weather was horrendous. But St.-Jean-de-Luz looked like a place I would enjoy discovering. I also have a friend who has family in Biarritz, and she spends most of her summers there, so hopefully I'll get a chance to go there eventually!

I'm so glad you got good weather and were able to fully enjoy the region. Cross your fingers for August for me -- I'm heading to Noirmoutier, further north on the Atlantic Coast. Not quite as warm, usually pretty windy, but a beautiful place too.
Yansor said…
Hello ! Were you able to check out Guéthary, which is a small Basque village, just between St Jean de Luz and Biarritz, near Bidart. My parents live there during spring and summer, it is particularly delightful.
Nice blog
:) Tatiana
Aralena said…
Tatiana, funnily enough, Guéthary was precisely the spot during our road trip where I started hyperventilating and exclaiming, "This is IT! This is IT!" The ocean breeze and clean air, pine trees bending over the road, houses with yards on hills... You and your parents are so lucky to have a residence there -- and so will I be, one day soon.

Alice, Noirmoutier sounds like a delightful spot to vacation in. Will you go sailing? I can just imagine the seafood you'll be dining on... I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you for sunshine and good wind!

Popular Posts