sans contrefaçon

Le Misanthrope.
Don quichotte sous la nef du Grand Palais.
Chefs-d'oeuvre de la galerie Vollard at the Musée d'Orsay.
Les châteaux de la Loire.

La Soupe aux choux.
Le Merle Moqueur.
Les Bronzées font du ski.
Indochine.

There comes a point in even the most diligent francophile's acculturation process when, the list of high-brow must-see/do excursions utterly exhausted, and you along with it, the hosts start grasping at straws and then, with a devious grin, drag you into the sloshy, silly, and deliciously débile underbelly of French civilization. I'm not talking about les Catacombes. I'm also not talking about half-hearted attempts to mimic Hollywood's monopoly on cheap laughs.

I mean the bona fide Gallic plebeian antics and cartoonish buffoonery that make Louis de Funès the most hilarious face contortionist ever. Or the B.D.-inspired lyrics of mega-80's rock stars Indochine. And especially the camaraderie that explodes in a rum bar when the theme song to San Ku Kai reverberates from the speakers.

Les Français -- they're just like us!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
"t'es bien brave, le Glaude!"

speaking of lovably french cinema, did you catch Les Ripoux 3 last night?
Betty Carlson said…
Very funny post! A lot of people don't realize this second France exists and thrives...
Ah, yes, good ol' French comedy. What would they do without Louis de Funès? My boy loves his old films and is constantly getting me to watch them with him. He's also a pretty heavy-duty Belmondo fan, so I've seen my share of French flicks in the past few years.

I'll never forget the first time I saw Le Père Noël est une ordure -- I was completely lost! But this was probably about seven years ago, and in the States. I have since had the opportunity to see it through a few more times and catch the nuances. Now it does make me laugh pretty hard -- although I'm the first to admit that I don't always "get" French humor!
Aralena said…
maîtresse - hé hé! another fan of cinéma pourri, I see? ;) I did not see Les Ripoux 3. Looks like I'm missing out on some choice classics - we don't have a t.v.

Betty C., yes indeed! I think discovering the cult classic/pop culture side of France is what Sarkozy was talking about when he passed all those integration regulations back in 2006.

Alice, I was completely baffled by Le Père Noël the first time I saw it, too, especially since every single French person I'd ever met insisted that I absolutely had to see it. Hein? French humor can be pretty dark and absurd.

Popular Posts