Homecoming Queen



Poring over the Ireland guidebook, humming gaily as I run my index finger along the illustrated valleys, lakes, and peninsulas that form the geographical makeup of counties Cork and Kerry, I come to an abrupt stop when I reach Dingle Bay and laugh aloud.

"My Dad is brilliant!" I cry to J.B., who, while totally agreeing, wonders at this adulatory outburst.

In the lyrical names of the Southwestern town of Tralee and the Macgillycuddy Reeks, I recognized myself and my younger brother. Nicknames of endearment are one among many of my Dad's lingual gifts and from as early as I can remember, I've learned to respond less to Aralena than to Arito, Nillo, Ducky or Tralee. Likewise, my brother, of the one syllable first name Hugh, has resigned himself with a grin to the much more complicated moniker Macgillycuddy. (But Macgill when expediency is of the essence.)

We fly to Dublin tonight and, after a couple of days plotting the demise of the stiffy by the Liffey and lolling around Swift's old stomping grounds, will travel west and southwest for the next 8 days. J.B. is armed with his highly detailed Excel spreadsheet of priority excursions, and I'm bringing a list of authors whose works I can't find here in Paris. My "F*%$ Cromwell!" t-shirt is clean and packed, and I've even caught a few interesting articles on improving Danish-Irish relations. It's about time.

I've completely romanticized this voyage across the Channel, into the land of my Celtic ancestors, but when you've got a Dad whose surreal accounts of his own treks across the Emerald Isle constituted your adolescent fairy tales, you can't help but dive headlong into an Eire of Finn MacCools and Cúchulainns and Queen Maeves of Connaught!

Comments

Anonymous said…
lovely post! your dad sounds incredible! have a lovely and amazing time in ireland...it will be magic! (sorry so many !!!'s)
delphine
R-M said…
Serendipity...I am actually organizing my Irish pics from last fall this weekend...your trip is another reason for nostalgia. I can't wait to hear all about your Irish exploits! Do not forget all the wonderful museos Dublin has to offer (which I did not have time for)and have a craic-a-lackin' good time!
Anonymous said…
Have a wonderful time in Ireland, I'd love to go there, seems like such a beautiful, mythical place. Cool video, I haven't seen it before, Kate Bush is so talented.
Misplaced said…
You will love it! It's interesting to visit the homeland that your ancestors fled. Enjoy.
degarrido said…
ma petite niece...your maternal roots are not far removed...on your next trip you must visit Scotland and your McIntosh and Maclean kin!
Tata Lisa
degarrido said…
ma petite niece...your maternal roots are not far removed...on your next trip you must visit Scotland and your McIntosh and Maclean kin!
Tata Lisa
Oh Aralena, would you believe that I started composing an e-mail to you before leaving for the Atlantic Coast in early August, and then left it in my brouillon folder in Yahoo and forget to shoot it out to you! I've just returned from Noirmoutier, and I imagine you must be heading back into town again soon yourself. Hope you had a wonderful trip up to Ireland and enjoyed your travels there. I still haven't had the opportunity to visit that incredible country, but my mother went back in the '90s and my brothers are both firmly attached to Irish culture -- although for reasons which I believe are not quite so cultural... If you get my drift! We do have a mix of Irish in our roots, but also lots of other European blood, so we're real mutts.

I loved my time away -- mainly just for relaxing and completely forgetting about everyday life in general... Pure escapism. But reality comes back to haunt you, ahem, at least in my case. So I'm back home now and gearing up for some much-needed focus and decision-making.

Hope we'll get a chance to finally meet up and have a drink together in September! Bises.
The afternoon that my Philippe and I spent on the Cliffs of Moher was one of the most gorgeous days of my life... I'll always remember it. I hope you had a great time in Ireland!

To anyone thinking of visiting the cliffs while in Liscannor: go hiking across the farmer's fields and start at the castle tower ruins. Don't start down on the other end where they're building the walkway.

We started at the "wrong" end near the tower ruins, and were all alone most of the afternoon. It was so beautiful...

Popular Posts