J'aime mon quartier - j'écoutasse


A week ago some late night revelers woke up the street warbling about how tossed they were. One of our neighbors was so inspired by their art that he screamed over his balcony, “Fermez vos gueules, bordel!”

Yesterday a French, pint-pulling Elvis warned us about stepping on his blue suede shoes, merci, merci beaucoup.

Last night the hip kids at the corner bar crooned about a pleasure known Trois Nuits Par Semaine.

This afternoon, as we were clearing the table of our lunch plates, a man with shoulder-length dreads reminded us that God will not come down from the sky and make everybody feel high.

Moments later an accordionist serenaded the sidewalk with a lovely, Eastern European melody, which I can still hear if I open my window wide.

I live in a resolutely musical neighborhood. The fun never stops! La Fête de la Musique? C’est tous les jours chez nous.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi.

I have a blog about French property and was surfing for inspiration when I came accross your post. I must say I admire your positive outlook. From the photo, the young men look like they have had rather too much too drink and I can imagine their singing reflects that. However, if you can see the 'music' in it, I guess that is much more healthy than getting stressed out about the noise.
Aralena said…
Doug, your suspicions are spot on - not only did they have too much to drink, the song they were belting out was a Joe Dassin fave, "La Fleur aux dents." Now you're really impressed by my positive outlook, right?

Popular Posts