Or maybe just the wooden stirring spoon would do

I have a great, enduring love for Journey. Nothing too alarming about that, right? But what is weird is that listening to Steve Perry belt out "Faithfully" transports me to the corner of Forest and Sinex, where Pacific Grove Middle School is located. For some inexplicable reason, anything Steve Perry sings (how hard is his guitarist rocking that mandolin?!) drops me off at PGMS. Not in a class or in the hallways, just facing the entrance. Which makes sense, since we left Pacific Grove for Washington State a year before I would have attended it. Maybe that fact makes it a sort of impenetrable monolith in my mind, the institution where so many of my childhood best friends turned into such different people, cliques exploded, former bullies became friendless and thus kind, and those once labeled unpopular became the model girls.

Honestly, do karaoke machines still exist? Or is there an application that replaced it a decade ago? I feel like my boys are utterly bored with my dancing antics, and it's time to up the ante during the witching hour between after school and dinner preparation, and crying out, "shoulda been go-one! knowin' how I made you fee-eel... and I shoulda been go-one after all your words of steel" would probably do the trick.

Comments

Popular Posts