Journée Internationale de la Francophonie

French swear words have very little corporeal effect upon me. Putain, fait chier, bordel, ta gueule! are all words and exclamations I hear quite regularly and might even be inclined to use in translated frustration, among friends or co-workers. (Okay, not ta gueule - I reserve that for nights out with the rugby team, after two or three Ricards.) To my ear, salaud and pétasse and va te faire... voir sound just as melodious as chatton, mirabelle, and enchanté, eliciting equal parts thoughtful interpretation and linguistic curiosity. I'm more interested in cerebrally decoding the symbol than worrying about its emotional punch on me, no matter the situation or expleter. And writing those words does not send rebellious chills up my spine the way using the "f" word on a web site would. I can't even type the damn "f" word, and yet I rattle off its French equivalent in a cavalier manner that may be misguided and has, on occasion, gotten me quizzical looks from strangers.

I'm sure it's the same for anyone speaking a language they were not punished, threatened, or teased with during their formative years. As a child, no one ever screamed at me, "Putain, tu fais chier, Aralena!" when I inevitably started wearing on nerves. The impact of such an irked outburst today would not prove gut-wrenching or tear-jerking - just French.

Long-held, emotionally trying images do not accompany many of the sounds that come flying from French mouths in the métro, in a bar, on the street, or at work. The term bordel still conjures up an old Dolly Parton movie or a commerce legal only in Nevada.

My cognitive pathways do not throw up red lights and flares when I overhear an enraged person spouting off profanities in French; I'm more likely to crane my neck and tip my head in the heated direction, mining for undiscovered syntax or accents on the delivery.

But then - leaning on anecdotal evidence here - I get the feeling that the French do not censor their panoply of jurons as severely as my American compatriots. I can't speak for all Anglophones - the British cuss lexicon is of yet not my own- but on a very basic level, four-letter words are potential firecrackers, highly charged and dangerous, though sometimes really fun and exciting to watch fly. Americans are discouraged from indulging in Tourett's syndrome-induced tirades at work; if I mutter an irritated "et merde!" at my computer, not an eye will bat. Case in point: at lunch the other day we went around the table sharing our first learned swear words and when I offered pute as one of my first encounters with French cursing, I got heckled, "Allez, you can do better than that!" followed by a mind-boggling list of rich expletives, which I will not inventory here.

...French dirty talk is more likely to illicit peals of laughter from me than an increased heart beat or a sudden, ravenous desire. In fact, a private joke that never concludes in anything but me and a friend bent over in abdomen-toning laughter revolves around an otherwise innocuous question, "t'aimes ça, hein?" I'm giggling to myself as I write it, remembering Cori, lip curled, eyelids lowered, imitating a mutual French friend who once posed that very question, coupled with a slap to the rear. Oh putain!

Nancy Huston wrote her Master's dissertation on swear words under the tutelage of Roland Barthes. O! to have been a fly on the wall of their meetings.

Comments

Aralena, this is such an excellent post! I've thought about this often over the years, how easy it is for me to send French swear words flying without batting an eyelid, and I've been known to chant "putain de bordel de merde" on a regular basis... As a matter of fact, I think I've SHOCKED my boyfriend with my language at times, as he's not really the type to throw these words around. I think I've even heard him say "purée" instead of putain in some instances! Can you believe? He's a cutie sometimes... A bit old-fashioned, sure, but cute.

I started out slowly with "mince" and "zut" as a student but moved quickly onto heavier things like "putain" and "fais chier" which has become pretty much an old stand-by for me.

For the longest time, though, I wouldn't pronounce the "f" word in public either -- but then again, more recently, some sort of spigot seems to have been turned on in my brain, and I've even been known to use this particular word quite freely -- just ask JennC! (she's even put it on record on her blog for posterity's sake -- oh, the reputation I will soon have...)

And then there's Nancy Huston's name cropping up again -- I finally bought l'Empreinte de l'ange last night; can you believe I've never read this? (I know, I know... for shame!)
JChevais said…
I have to laugh at some of the weird language things I come across here in France too.

Case in point: I was in a mall in the burbs where there was a little train-trolly toting toddlers through the mall. The atmosphere was circusy and fun... However the music coming out of the boombox was some hardcore american rap with "m-f-er" this and "m-f-er" that.

The kids were having a grand ol' time.... ;-)
Anonymous said…
so true... although even in your own language you can get used to certain obscenities and no longer find them potent or offensive. For example, N went through a phase where he was obsessed with calling me his bitch. But it's so ingrained in our culture, at least in our GenXY days, that it rolled right off my back-- I knew he wasn't being disrespectful, just trying to flex his English muscles.

Then suddenly, one day, he decided to stop. "Isn't it demeaning to you? For me it's just sounds, it doesn't have real meaning." I told him it didn't matter to me either way... am I crazy??

and about Nancy H-- why won't she publish that thing? I'd love to read it!
Starman said…
If you don't inventory the list of expletives, how are we to learn?
Misplaced said…
I have been studying french for the past 6 months but these words have never been put on the table for discussion. I'm printing this post and I'm bringing it to class. My teacher is going to have some 'splaining to do.

Your blog is a joy!
Anonymous said…
I have never had much cause to let 'em fly in French, mostly because I am usually in a classroom setting. However, I had an Indonesian roommate some years back who was bound and determined to learn all the obscenities the English language had to offer. I had just gotten over a bout of "potty mouth" and would start off tentatively, but she would goad me until I taught her the rudest of the rude. She thought it was great fun; as long as you don't have a real attachment to the words, I guess it is.
Anonymous said…
I think swearing is great when used in the right context, tone and selectiveness (like a sprinkle of salt..although I see no need to punctuate your sentences with swear words)...I always get a kick when someone whom I respect...who I know is cultured, intelligent etc etc...says f*ck or sh*t. It shows me they are human.
delphine

ps Nancy Huston...can she impress me anymore?
Aralena said…
interesting, our experiences with naughty words... starman, there is nothing I would love more than to release a windfall of French obscenities on this blog. unfortunately, I think I might worry friends and family, and maybe even incur the wrath of the blog police.

that said, misplaced, I encourage you to hold your French teacher to the highest pedagogic standards and applaud your thirst for learning!

maitresse, I can't comment on your craziness (you are dating a Frenchmen, for Pete's sake! ;)) but I completely agree with you on the inverse swearing theory. I usually snicker when J.B. curses in English - the accent alters the brutality of the meaning for me. We laugh about it. I wonder if Huston's thesis is collecting dust in one of the Sorbonne's libraries?

jchevais, your story reminds me of the times I've found myself wanting to break it down in Franprix and Champion throughout Paris. Never would a Safeway or Albertson's be caught dead blasting Ice Cube or Jay Z and yet me and my (often elderly) shopping companions in France are frequently treated to such musical shopping soundtracks. Weird and hilarious.

Late Bloomer, I love the term purée! I find it absolutely endearing. In fact, I think one could dedicate a whole post (or thesis, for that matter) to 2nd degree expletives. You got me thinking about punaise, mince, and all the other cute ways of saying Darn! JB is from Toulouse and therefore practically impossible to shock with swear words. In fact, he informed me that it is absolutely acceptable to say, "Putain con" among the laid-back Toulousain. Ca donne envie...

Delphine, what you say it true- a sweeter discourse is far more agreeable to swallow than a too-salty one.

seniorsenior, your roommate sounds like a blast. the experience sounds therapeutic.
Anonymous said…
Aralena loves the story of how I learned Spanish from my husband, whose language was peppered with vulgar expressions; and how, in my ignorance (and trust in Jorge's command of the languge), I expressed appreciation for my future mother-in-law's welcome dinner for me. We traveled to Mexico City and in the company of proper maiden aunts and assorted familia I told her that it was a fucking good dinner. Que pena! She was shocked, but 30 some years later she still laughs about it.

FYI...for a good chuckle, check out English as a Second F*cking Language.

http://www.amazon.com/English-Second-cking-Language-Effectively/dp/sitb-next/031214329X
Anonymous said…
Excellent, excellent post! Really love your blog.

Popular Posts