Kant sleep

Whenever I have a hard time falling asleep (like right now), I watch clips of Nureyev on YouTube. It reminds me of the way my dance teachers would command us to use the space around us hungrily, to consider it part of our corps, and necessary to the completion of movement. Energy in your arms should never stop at your finger tips, they pronounced; those vibrations of joy, tenderness, rage or pensiveness must extend up and out, to the last person in the audience, beyond the entrance, out into the streets!


It's a rare treat to indulge in the fullest use of space, one that is both selfish and generous. Nureyev does this beautifully.

Comments

R-M said…
My dear, you have given me my Zen thought for the day w/the single thought of space. Then, again, Nureyev's work is always food for the soul...thanks for the reminder.
R-M said…
ps here's another homage to effective use of space

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HShpoVtjzko&feature=youtube_gdata
Aralena said…
Oh, R-M, who can forget spinning with the Jolly Green Giant? THOSE were some Zen moments, too.
R-M said…
True that! Everytime I do warm-up in a modern class, I can't help but wonder -- why are we not wandering about the room staring at each other, and instead are simply stretching...?

Popular Posts