soit

I work at home, and so does Jacques. We work with each other's schedules, trading off on who gets to eat lunch first, changes outfits more, wins staring contests, etc.

We are best buddies, and the worst of bunk mates. Nights when he sleeps well, I wake up more often, shocked to find him peacefully dreaming of what I imagine to be either a benevolent, always available breast whose milk never ceases to flow or a ladybug mobile that never, ever stops spinning. Conversely, when Monsieur awakes to chuckle and squeak at 3h, then 4h, then maybe 6h I am (naturally) really not game.

But we're getting there. Apparently breast-fed babies take a while to get to the point where they sleep through the night. And to be honest, I am actually doing okay waking up twice a night. Indeed, it has taught me something about how one becomes French.

From day one, whenever Jacques got a bit grumpy, or downright MAD, ("what the HELL are you doing changing my filthy diaper before feeding me?? Boobs over dryness, homies.") J-B only had to break into "Le petit bonhomme en mousse" in a dramatic baritone and Jacques was instantly appeased. Since then, we've also had astounding success with such gems as "Dschinghis Khan", "Siffler sur la colline," and vulgar rugby songs that would make your uncle blush. It seems that any chanson pourrie will do.

One day Jacques will instinctively understand the hilarity of certain French songs, personalities, shows and where and when to drop those references. While Weird Al may never hold a sacred, nostalgic place in his psyche, Joe Dassin will...?

Sarkozy wants a debate on the question of what it means to be French? "Le petit bonhomme en mousse" is in there somewhere.

Comments

Lovely post. And really lovely photo. So nice to see you here! Where I gave up, you're going strong... I know I owe you an e-mail; I promise it's coming soon! Miss you... XO
Emilie said…
I love this post. The best part is that you will get to filter which American references little Jacques gets...
Hannah said…
Ah, the grumpy French! From his smiles and all that good nursing time, Jacques is going to grow up to be one happy kid... :)
R-M said…
I couldn't help but laugh (and think in the gauche cultural ref manner of the US)of the Friends episode where Sir-Mix-a-Lot was invoked to get the baby to laugh! Looks like you guys have one-upped that! Here's hoping Sir-Mix-A-Lot will not be the first to be invoked when little man J wants some US cultural refs! Love your writing (as always) babe!

Popular Posts