R.I.P., Pidge

It was an Animal Card enthusiast's worst nightmare.

I went to meet a friend at the Jardin des Plantes for a refreshing walk in the sunshine. The temperature was hovering somewhere around freezing, but in the sunny spots of the park, the cold was bearable.

Waiting on a park bench, I watched a couple of fat, healthy pigeons scavenging the soil underneath the bushes in front of me. I remarked that these pigeons were definitely better off than the haggard wretches that roam our block. They were terribly shy, however, and kept waddling away when I tried to photograph them.


Katia and her baby arrived mid-photo shoot, so I stopped skulking around the yews to capture proof that non-horrendous pigeons do exist in Paris. We blabbed and walked through the rows of fallow plant mounds, and chuckled at this:


Once we exited the Jardin and entered the concrete jungle, the happy birdie vibes soured. Outside the park gates, my attention was caught by a fracas in the branches of a tree across the street. I watched confused as one gray pigeon flapped madly, tumbled between branches, then fell through the air topsy-turvy, until its small form slammed to the roof of the car below it. It twitched for a few seconds then stopped.



Katia and I looked at one another with horrified expressions, and then at the opposing windows for the pigeon sniper. No bones. So, as any blasé modern-day city-dweller would do, I started snapping photos, while other blasé witnesses grinned, apparently more interested in my photo/cellphone contraption than the morbid subject of my photos.

Comments

R-M said…
Ummm...I know you threatened to kill a pigeon for Thanksgiving dinner two years ago...b/c Parisian turkey fixin's were scarce, but honestly I never thought... you'd do it for your art! J/K

The photo, has, however, brought such morbid joy to my study break this evening! You are channeling Edward Gorey methinks....
Emilie said…
ah NO! the poor little guy :)

enchanting story ma belle. love.

Popular Posts