de battre mon coeur s'est fait enregistrer

At La Maison Rouge, as part of Christian Boltanski's latest work, "Les archives du cœur," if you so desire, you can have your heartbeat recorded, archived, and eventually stored on a Japanese island where anyone can request to listen to it, simply by providing your name.

Curious and eager to see how the performance would play out with myself as a minor character, I indulged my own impulse for immortality, and had my heartbeat recorded.

It's thrilling, the idea that at some point I will visit this mysterious island, and hear the systole and diastole of my own heart pounding in a cave. What memories will it inspire? Will it disturb or delight me?

Comments

Anonymous said…
actually there is something quite beautiful and poetic in the concept...
nancy
Aralena said…
I agree, Nancy. The intimacy he cultivates between himself, his art and his spectators/participants is quite poetic.

Popular Posts