Kees Kees Bong Bong

Personal revelation: I'm not the most patient gal around. I blame the French postal system and our coffee machine. Whatever the source, my sweetie calls me on it frequently, usually when I've given up on trying to define a gnarly Californiaism, and, just like, dude, totally can't, you know?

Thus we try to keep the frenetic miming explanations of valley girl speak to a minimum. How? By watching lots of Robert Downey Jr. and John Hughes. The Robert Downey Jr. part is no skin off my back, no ma'am -- had a huge crush on him since "Weird Science." And John Hughes, well who doesn't love themselves a bit of "Pretty in Pink"?

Using cinematic media as a language substitute teacher is as old a crutch as they come; how many times were you subjected to "Peau d'Âne" in high school by a teacher who'd had it with your affreux recitation of Ode à Cassandre? (Replacing a poem exalting pedophilia with a musical about incest does seem like a just punishment for not mastering la liaison.)

So when Jean dear crowed that "Kees Kees Bong Bong" was ready for our viewing pleasure, I grinned at him in satisfaction at the double coup: more English lessons delivered by cuteness himself, and the most adorably Frenched-out pronunciation of an American film title since "Buddy Eat."

Comments

Popular Posts