amour, amour, je t'aime tant

Kind of bitter on Paris right now. I keep muttering that it's probably me, not her. Trying to find the things that used to get smoke in my eyes, make me weak in the knees about my urban mistress. But things are rocky of late.

I hate when I let the little things (stolen laundry detergent, heel-stomping upstairs neighbors with a broken washing machine early Saturday morning, inefficient and impolite fonctionnaires) wring the ardor out of this confusing courtship. Who hasn't been there and found themselves looking upward for a sign of reprieve, or a lightning bolt?

This morning, as I paced through the apartment, tensely organizing and tidying up, I came across some long-forgotten Catholic paraphernalia given to us at our wedding, and realized that I had never actually bothered to read through the much of the documentation (one of them a small booklet that I had nonetheless signed, at the altar, under the guidance of our wonderful priest). I sat down with "Notre Foyer" and absent-mindedly perused the first few pages. Turning past the page with our inky signatures, and a photograph of logs burning heartily, I stopped at page three and started paying attention.

"J'ai beau parler toutes les langues de la terre et du ciel, si je n'ai pas la charité, s'il me manque l'amour, je ne suis qu'un cuivre qui résonne, une cymbale retentissante. J'aurais beau être prophète, avoir toute la science des mystères et toute la connaissance de Dieu, et toute la foi jusqu'à transporter des montagnes, s'il me manque l'amour, je ne suis rien. J'aurais beau distribuer toute ma fortune aux affamés, j'aurais beau me faire brûler vif, s'il me manque l'amour, cela ne me sert à rien." - 1 Corinthians 13, 1-2

Finding solace in upbeat but antisocial Bénabar tunes may be improving my French, it's not doing wonders for my 'tude. So it's back to basics. And Blackalicious.

Comments

Gem said…
How funny, last night I was reminiscing about the French songs I missed and watched that same video on YouTube! I love that song...
Aralena said…
That's funny, Gem! Yep, Bénabar is le pied. He's really the most charming way with words (easy on the eyes, too!).
Anonymous said…
That was beautiful...and thank you for the Blackalicious link; I've heard this song, but only once before and I never knew who made it. I love the song and the video is so cute...what a lovely start to my day. :0)
Anonymous said…
hope you and your beloved make up!
Anonymous said…
ça j'aime bien. et j'ai le mal de pays, paris me manque trop.

but two weeks tonight I'll be on a plane, winging my way back, if only for 10 days!

think how sad you'd be if YOU had to leave for 4 months! :)
Aralena said…
You know the fun thing about the Blackalicious clip, Mlle. Smith? I had just moved into the apartment building where they were filming, came home one day from furniture shopping, and after asking my landlady who the film crew was for, cruised over to see if I couldn't meet the men. Too late to meet them, but the crew was eating lunch and invited my roomie and me to join! And that's my L.A. story.

Destination Metz, we have kissed and made up - the weather has permitted some lovely evenings out on terraces, which might the best make-up sex ever.

Maîtresse, mal de pays et loin de ton chéri - j'imagine bien ton malheur. L'amour se nourrit de manque ? You'll soon be back!
Gentry said…
Mon dieu! What a small world! Yes, it's me, the same Gentry from Mills. Oh I hope you're coming to the show! It's going to be amazing. Come find me and say hi!
degarrido said…
Ara...I don't know from Blackalicious but I DO know Corinthians and love...It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Love ya, miss ya,
Tante Lisa
Aralena said…
Yay Gentry! You were a fantastic presenter in 1997, and I'd bet the farm that you've only improved. I wouldn't miss the show for the world!

Lisa, Blackalicious and Corinthians are just another thing to add the list of things to do when we hang out next. xoxo
JChevais said…
Perspective and Bénabar.

Yes.
Hey Aralena, think I can borrow some CDs sometime? Would love to get a better listen to Bénabar... Or do you just have digital copies?! :)
Aralena said…
Jenn, the two do seem to go hand-in-hand. Especially when I'm feeling particularly sentimental/odd.

Alice, no one is more bummed than I that all my CDs are back in California. I do have a pretty substantial MP3 stock, however, so just lemme know what you're hankering for, and I'll burn you some. Bénabar coming up!

Popular Posts