Kit, prefab, modular

As the daughter of a carpenter, I feel traitorous even admitting this, but I think prefab homes are brilliant. Chalk it up to my laziness. Or perhaps design and construction fatigue -- we are finally seeing the light at the end of building an apartment complex. Both are probably at the root of my fascination with all things prefabricated, home-modular.

So far, my favorite purveyor of prefab homes is Blu Homes, with their focus on ecologically and ergonomically sound building. Design Milk just posted a host of other exciting modular home designers, ranging from barn style houses unique to the Isle of Skye, to kit houses that reflect the Norwegian mountain tops, to rancho revival.

We discuss getting a plot of land in my home region of Central, coastal California, upon which we'd just PLOP! a fresh prefab. Done in a few months, ready to inhabit during summer vacations and retirement, what could be easier?  A mobile home, I suppose. Or a tent. A yurt!

Comments

R-M said…
I vote yurt!

Popular Posts