overly maligned

Hey, Unhappy Hipsters! That's some good snark humor you've tapped into -- nice for a reader in need of a sardonic chuckle. Sometimes the tags are more clever than the captions; "Brutalist Living," "Maybe a psychotic Vizsla or a Thai Ridgeback?,"  and my fave, "If The Eames is A-Rocking."

I must have stared intently at millions of staged home interior photographs on Houzz or Dwell or Apartment Therapy over these past few years, hoping for inspiration for our own home project. And sometimes, especially with modern and contemporary architecture and interior design, the images do scream misery, chilling despair. But it never occurred to me to see these decorating trends through the lens of a hipster-critique.

When does making fun of "hipsters," a word which seems to encompass anyone into mid-century modern style today, which is practically everyone who watches Mad Men, which includes me, become a cliche in itself? Maybe I'm out of the loop (I'm definitely out of the loop), but I thought hipsters were grungy youngsters wearing a lot of ironic garb from the 1980's, posturing in one of the burroughs of NYC... now it seems to be anyone with an apparent taste for European furniture design?

Comments

Popular Posts