when the over-used "c'est un scandale" was actually used in an appropriate situation

Saturday afternoon, my just-turned 19 year old step-brother and a family friend were prospecting for apartments. We'd just toured a 5th floor walk-up exposition plein sud, and decided that we'd reward our diligent hunting with a refreshment on a cafe terrace we'd spotted on the way over. No sooner had the waiter brought me my Ricard, than a heavily pregnant woman and her friend installed themselves at a table two seats down from us.

While Stephan and I discussed trick birthday presents and the horrors of dorm rooms, I noticed the waiter arriving at the pregnant woman's table with pints of ale. Hm, I thought to myself, trying to withhold judgment. I know that Americans have a far stricter attitude when it comes to alcohol consumption during pregnancy, and at her advanced state, some doctors (in Germany?) might even extol the virtues of hops to help induce labor. Fine. But then she whipped out a packet of Marlboro lights, lit up, and commenced to downing her ambre. One, two, three cigarettes later, and she was hollering at the waiter to bring her a second pint.

My attention was riveted on her drinking and smoking. I couldn't stop staring at her, then her friend, then the bulging belly, then back to the woman's face, searching for signs of tragedy -- had she suffered terrible news and this was how she was consoling herself? Nothing but irritation at the waiter's seeming indifference to her calling him for more drinks showed.

I tried to imagine the same scene taking place at home, in California, and couldn't, because, well, it wouldn't. If an obviously pregnant woman began drinking and smoking on a terrace in San Francisco, she'd be the object of scornful looks and intervening commentary. On this side of the Atlantic, people were noticing and grimacing, but kept their comments to themselves. As did I. When in Rome?

Comments

Unknown said…
I lived in Los Angeles six years. Georges Marciano owned the building across the patio from me and in it lived many Europeans. A young French woman hung out on her patio smoking all through her pregnancy. My sister and I were both horrified and terrified for the baby's health. We were so convinced the child would come out blue, but alas, she was the most beautiful, and perfectly healthy little thing. When in Rome...
Misplaced said…
That is a shame. Although I don't know which I'd be more appalled by, a women drinking and smoking while pregnant or someone giving her intervening commentary. Rome rules!

It reminds me of a Harper Lee quote- a slight dig at her fellow citizens from Monroeville, Alabama traveling abroad.

"When in Rome, do as you done did in Monroeville"
Amy75 said…
I'm equally surprised by a French woman downing beers. I haven't seen that before. I always feel like a major lush at dinner parties - kicking my husband under the table to refill my glass.
Anonymous said…
I am told by my sister, that out of the seven children in our family, she and I were the only 2 pregnancies during which our mother did NOT drink and smoke. We are now the only 2 surviving children that have not completely succumbed to alcohol and drug addictions.
When in Rome...
Anonymous said…
interesting debate. all of my european friends smoked and drank throughout their pregancies....and really i didn't think too much of it in europe....but here in north america....i saw a very pregnant arab woman (nothing against arabs nor am i generalizing!!!) smoking like a fiend, one after the other...and i was mortified! i don't know what to say...
nancy
Anonymous said…
Yeah when in Rome...

What I'm interested in in this text is the text itself not that the content is not interesting but ... Let me introduce myself. I'm an ancient New York lover who hasn't been over there for the past eight years. Some of the words and phrases you used just sort of hit me. Where you say "installed" I'd say "settled". Installed to me refers to installments... you see. Well, a couple of other quacks of the same sort "commenced" would be began or started and packet would be pack for me. May be in California they speak different you know than in New York. Well whatever, no harm meant, just curiosity over the language. Thanks!

Popular Posts