Cultural learnings

It's nice to know Americans aren't the only ones notorious for their abstract perceptions of geography :



This was sent to me by my husband. It was sent to him by a colleague at work. The subject line was "faut rigoler de temps en temps."

The thing that makes me cock my head over jokes like this is the fact that, being born and raised in a cesspool of political correctness, I can't help but wonder how much truth is revealed through the map-maker's demographic distinctions. As support for Le Pen's far right politics increases in France, how far from the mark are these xenophobic classifications?

On another p.c. note, we saw "Borat" last night. I'm still not sure what I think of the absurdity of Sacha Baron Cohen's movie. I rotated between recoiling in embarrassed horror, guffawing, and wondering what percentage of the French audience considered the characters to be an accurate representation of Americans.

Comments

R-M said…
I just need to insert a quick comment that Borat made me feel proud to be an American as I rolled w/laughter on the floor of the London cinema...because a dear friend of mind used to live in the neighborhood by the MLK Expressway in the film's ATL segment and it made me so nostalgic and impressed by the accurate portrayal of Atlanta. Cheers!

Popular Posts